Puget Sound Section
Call for nominations to serve on the Puget Sound Section Board or the Young Planners Group (YPG) board due Friday, July 25, 2014
Are you interested in serving on the Puget Sound Section or Young Planners Group Board?
We need to fill the following positions starting September 2014 — August 2016
What are the responsibilities of a Puget Sound Section Board Member?
- Be a member of Washington APA (minimum).
- Commit to a two year term from August 2014– June 2016. There will be opportunities, during this cycle, to participate/volunteer for the National Conference in 2015.
- Participate in 2.5 hour (average) board meeting every month in person or by conference call.
- Commit approximately 8 hours per month to various PSS businesses and programs.
- The County Representatives will be responsible for helping to plan a minimum of 2 Brown Bag events a year and coordinate with the Young Planners Group County Representatives on various activities.
- Actively participate in decision-making on conference calls, through e-mail, web-based discussions, and sponsorship campaigns.
- Be a positive representative for the 900+ members of the Puget Sound Section.
What are the responsibilities of a Young Planners Group Board Member?
- Reside in Puget Sound and include planners who are under age 35, are students, or are professionals with less than 5 years of experience in the field.
- Participate in a monthly meeting (meetings usually involve free food).
- Determine overall goals, policies and plans for YPG work plan.
- Participate in planning events and programming.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for collaboration with other planning-related organizations,
- Be a leader in providing opportunities for mentorship, professional development and volunteering opportunities.
Look for out for your ballots in August!
This year's election will be conducted electronically with on-line ballots. A link to the ballot will be e-mailed directly to each member of the Puget Sound Section. It's important that all members register their current e-mail address on the National APA website to ensure receipt of the on-line ballot: http://www.planning.org/. Watch your in-box for the ballot!
Call for Mentors and Mentees
The APA WA Puget Sound Section Young Planners Group is recruiting young planners for its 2014-2015 mentorship program. This is a wonderful opportunity to connect with Puget Sound-area professionals with deep experience in the field who can offer guidance, perspective and career advice. Last year's participants have used the program to explore new planning specialties, learn about planning work in different sectors, and to hear first-hand about the challenges that can arise in the field.
The program runs from September to May, culminating in a graduation celebration. Mentors are paired with young planners based on interest and need. Mentor-mentee pairs will tailor the program based on individual need. Activities in the past include job shadowing, sitting in on professional events, or meeting for lunch or coffee. YPG will also host regular group meetings for mentors and mentees to connect and interact.
Young planners are generally considered as those under 35 and/or with three or fewer years' experience in the field, but all are encouraged to apply.
Epic: Collaboration in Planning Conference 2014
Our 2nd Biennial EPIC Conference, held on June 4, 2014 at the SeaTac International Airport Conference Center was a great success. We had over 50 attendees who were able to earn 4.0 CM credits during this half day event. Credits are NOW available for posting to your AICP log. Visit Planning.org and search by event date and location. As requested here are copies of the presentations.
Mark Your Calendar for These Upcoming Events
Thursday, July 24 Mix and Mingle with WASLA 5:30pm - 7:30pm:
Save the Date. More information to come on this joint event.
YPG Puget Sound
YPG Puget Sound is a professional venue where young planners can meet with their peers to network, learn, have fun and connect with mentors. For more information, including upcoming events, please visit our website. To join YPG's contact list, ask questions, or otherwise get involved, please email us.